As our Organist/Choirmaster
St. John’s Episcopal Church of Versailles announces the opening of its Organist/Choirmaster position beginning April 10, 2023.
St. John’s is a 175-year-old church built and furnished in the style of English county parish churches. The music program is modeled accordingly. A 15-member volunteer choir sings the weekly choral Eucharist, and all music is led from an 1897 Hook & Hastings tracker-action organ.
The Organist/Choirmaster position is responsible for the music program of St. John’s including the following principal duties:
• Planning, preparation, and performance of music for the Sunday service on organ and/or piano.
• Preparing and directing the parish choir for the Sunday 10:30 service and holding weekly practices. (Choir meets September through May and is off during the summer.)
• Selecting and coordinating all special and supplemental musicians for special services.
• Recruiting new members for the parish choir.
• Researching new music and maintaining the parish choir library.
• Working with organ and piano maintenance firms to ensure proper tuning and upkeep.
• Providing musical services for all weddings and funerals, whenever possible.
The minimum job qualifications are:
• Ability to play organ and piano is required.
• Ability to teach vocal techniques and to conduct a choir.
• A postsecondary degree in music is preferred. Candidates currently enrolled in a music degree program are eligible and encouraged to apply.
• Must have experience in selection and performance of music with theological content.
• Must have knowledge of copyright law and infringement.
• Must have organizational, interpersonal, technical, managerial, and musical skills.
• Must be able to work well with others.
The typical work week should not exceed 20 hours. This is an annual appointment to be reviewed and renewed by January 1 of each year. Salary to be based on experience. St. John’s offers a competitive benefits package. Desired start date is April 10 with an expected start date no later than May 1, 2023.
Applicants should submit a letter of interest and a resume to Dr. Jay Box in care of St. John’s Episcopal Church, 210 North Main Street, Versailles, KY 40383 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application deadline is April 3, 2023.